Thursday, January 1, 2009

Purpose Driven Passion

Passion...your either have it or you don't! Have you ever seen that passionate football fan that manages to be so passionate that even the television cameras are drawn to him? You know the guy who goes to a football game with no shirt on, shaves his head and paints on a football helmet, shows up early to tailgate, and forgets that it is 12 degrees below zero outside. I have always thought those guys were nuts...in reality they are...but I still admire their passion for their team.  

I love to see Christians who are passionate about Christ. They are the ones who cannot wait for worship. When its time for the Word their Bibles are open and they whole-heartedly take in what is being shared. They are the ones that become teary-eyed when they think of all the people that don't know Jesus. Passionate Christians are the servants that don't have to have their voices heard. Their actions speak louder than words.


Do you have passion? What is your passion driven towards? Have you exalted anything above your relationship with Christ?

Personally (and honestly), this past year just about zapped every ounce of passion I had. But by Gods grace I am still fired up for my Savior. I used to think that passion was this Charismatic frenzy of uncontrolable responses to the Holy Spirit. Passionate people will have those sorts of experiencs. But passion has become so much more! I still have those moments where just His presence brings tears to my eyes. But, through the years I have learned that truly passionate people have it when its good and they keep it when its bad. In other words, you cannot allow the challenges of life to take your passion.


Maybe you don't feel so passionate...frustrated, agitated, irritated, depressed...is more like it. Has the cares of this world taken over? Are you so occupied by the news of financial collapse and the murder of children that worry has mislead your passions? Are you drained by life? Is sin controlling your behavior? This new series is definitely for you. Be sure to be in church as we lay claim to Purpose Driven Passion!!!

4 comments:

Ken Tuck said...

Sounds like a great series coming up.

You are right. We've got to have passion. Every time I think and talk about ministry "passion" always comes up as the key. It's easy to get tired, but if you have passion for Jesus like He has passion for us then we can keep going forward.

BTW. Great birthday party yesterday. Glenn busting some dance moves was one of the highlights. Great food, too. You and Brooke outdid yourselves. It was great seeing so many of our friends from Christ-Life Church. The music was outstanding as well.

Debbie said...

Thanks Ken for the reminder of Jesus' passion for God. If not for that passion he would never have made it to the cross. How many times do you suppose he wanted to give up - chunk it all and go fishing - or maybe run away hollering "Leave me alone -I'm done!" But he didn't. And we are where we are because of Him. All of us who stand for Him have to go
on. We have to. We have to stand firm because satan does.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for this series. God, give a purpose driven passion that will lead to life-change in others.

--Justin

Music Man said...

http://www.christianmyspacelayouts.org/christian-myspace-graphics/large/250

this is a link to a graphic i thought went with what you said about it being about him and not about us. its pretty good! Great sermon. I guess now I know what I have to do whenever I am humbling myself before God in prayer! LOL! Flakes, gotta hate em I mean love em!