Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Making A Ruckus!!!

I was sitting in Peking Chinese Buffet in New Smyrna Beach eating lunch and reading a book by Seth Godin. The book is titled Tribes: We Need You To Lead Us. It is a phenominal book that goes against the status quo of typical leadership writings. Most leadership books I have read talk about finding and developing the leaders around you. TRIBES is a book that says everyone is a leader and everyone within the organization needs to begin to lead.



While reading the book and biting into a great tasting sushi roll Godin makes a comment that has lit a fire inside of me for the past week. Upon his exhortation to create effective change he blasts those groups that relish the status quo. He says, "People yearn for change, they relish being part of a movement, and they talk about things that are remarkable, not boring." Godin shares a new rule for growth about finding those who will buy in and support the changes that need to be made. What excited me was the last sentence of this particular section.



"Leaders make a ruckus."



I was sitting alone enjoying my lunch when I read that statement. All of a sudden I found myself laughing out loud and proclaiming as if someone was sitting with me....that's freakin' right! I couldn't believe it... I said it out loud and who knows what the people around me were thinking.



I typically don't use words like freaking, sucks and pissed off. I had a pastor drill into my head that those were not appropriate words for Christians to say. Ironically, that very pastor has been at the core of integral issues for years. Many people have encouraged me to disconnect with that pastor, and over the last year I have done that. Some have insuated that our connection to his ministerial covering has hurt our ability to grow and prosper. That may be true...but that is also letting other people off the hook to easy. In particular it lets all of us who are part of the core leadership off the hook. The truth as I see it...the status quo has kept us from growing...the lack of follow-up and follow-through has brought our momentum to a screaching halt at times. That will have to change for us to achieve the vision that God has placed in our hearts. I am committed to challenge the status quo so that we can make a ruckus for the glory of God.



CONGRATULATIONS TO BARACK OBAMA!
THIS IS A GREAT DAY IN AMERICAN HISTORY!!
I MAY NOT AGREE WITH YOU ON ALL ISSUES BUT I AM COMMITTED TO PRAY FOR YOU AND YOUR ADMINISTRATION!!!
THE STATUS QUO HATES DAYS LIKE THIS!!!!








2 comments:

Shane Braucht said...

I believe it is time we start to stir-up some poop.

Anonymous said...

You must have been born to be a leader because you've been "Making A Ruckus" ever since I can remember!!!

Love you,
Morgan