Monday, November 24, 2008

Keep Your JOY For the Holidays!

The holidays are upon us! For some that's exciting and for others it is a real stressor. The expense of the holiday season is usually something we are never quite prepared for, and with the cost of living through the summer months many people do not have the finances to spend like they normally would.

As you enter this time of the year try not to let your focus be on the money that you don't have. Instead try to hone in on family, friends and faith. Maybe you might want to start a tradition this season that does not require much expense. One thing to be careful about is letting the kids hear you complain (aka fight) over the lack of funds. Use this as a chance to really get your children focused on the Christ of the holidays.

For Thanksgiving go around the table and discuss what you are thankful for. If you are struggling...let your family know you are thankful for them....use it as a chance to share your faith at the kitchen table. Maybe you are disheartened that you just don't have the money to go shopping on Friday...then don't go! Stay home with your family or just get some rest. Do a cost free project that you have been putting off! Play board games...just make it A point to keep things positive.

Christmas can really be fun even if you don't have alot of money to spend. I remember my 9th grade year... when the factory closed and it sent my family spiralling. My parents always had huge Christmas' for us. Bicycles, sleds, guns, clothes, candy, electronics...whatever we wanted was the norm. That year was slim pickings...I can still remember my stack of gifts...piled up on the couch they came to my chest...I think I had 10 or 12 gifts that year. But, I remember nan and pap bringing gifts that morning and falling down the hill in the snow...I remember my grandma Shroades sitting at the table drinking her little pony bottle of Miller beer like she always did...My uncle Ray picking on me....Other family members that showed up empty handed but always expected to receive a gift from us. I remember Brad tearing through the presents and double checking the paper to make sure he didn't miss anything (he always complained)...Morgan had a few things but nothing real expensive...I remember receiving a USA jersey as it was an olympic year...what I am saying I remember a low present Christmas but I also remember all the fun we had as a family...I also remember my mother and father fighting because money was so slim. This year drink lots of hot chocolate, make cheap cookies, or pray for snow. One of the things we always did was string popcorn with a thread and needle and use it as the garlin for our tree. Instead of spending an outrageous amount of money on a live tree...go in the woods find a Charlie Brown tree...cut it down...tie it to the top of the car....proudly carry it in the house...make the decorations....your kids will love it.

For New Years don't worry we have that covered for you. Most of you know that Laurie is a New Years Baby. She will be 40 this year ... don't worry I am going to throw a humdinger of a party.

IN OTHER WORDS DON'T LET THE HOLIDAYS STRESS YOU OUT BECAUSE OF MONEY...DETERMINE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO KEEP YOU JOY....ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS WITH YOUR FAMILY!!! BECAUSE THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT LAURIE AND I HAVE COMMITTED TO DO THIS YEAR!

3 comments:

Ken Tuck said...

Amen! Excellent blog Bro.
I'd like to add one more thing. Help someone less fortunate than yourself. No matter how tough you have it right now, there is always someone who has it worse.

Just this morning as I was helping a homeless man with blankets and stuff, he told me that he didn't want to take too much, because there are people in worse situations than he's in.

This man lives in a tent with his son in Dothan, Ala., and he is concerned for those less fortunate that him. That always ministers to me when a homeless person tells me that.

Christmas is about giving, but not the kind the world has shaped it into. It's about God the Father giving us His only Son. Let's show the love of the Father this Christmas and at all times.

David Berry said...

I think we all have some of the same ideas this year. I am trying to spend a little more time with my family this year. Unfortunately Deana's Family are all in Nevada, which complicates things this year.

Holidays are a great time to spend with family. But the giving, as ken said so precisely "No matter how tough you have it right now, there is always someone who has it worse."

Our giving shouldn't just be during the Holidays. A helping hand can be extended anytime, we seem to think more of it during the Holidays, but we have people all over that need us more than we will ever know.

This is why I think the church is now headed in the right direction.
"Back to Basics" so to speak. Building the most solid foundation a church can have, helping others.

I hope You all have a great Thanksgiving, and we will see you soon.
David

Pastor Mike's Blog said...

David & Ken,
Thanks for some great perspective...you both added something that I didn't even mentions...thank you so much....oh yeah, everyone do something for someone less fortunate.
Mike