Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An Historical Night!!!

Last evening we all watched as history was made. Regardless of the outcome last night was destined to be a day that would be remembered for the rest of American history. For the first time in American history an African-American would win the presidency, or a woman could be elected as vice-president (that in the event John McCain could not finish his term would make her the first female president).

Personally, I thought it was amazing! The outcome was not as I chose, but that's one of the reasons that we live in the greatest country on the planet. We had the freedom to choose our leaders. I think Barack Obama (President Elect) deserves a great ovation for such an accomplishment. I am committing to pray for him and his leaders that he will select. I am concerned about his liberal policies and things of that nature, but I will not live in fear. I have issues with some of his connections past and present. He may upset me because he does not have the same world view that I do. Regardless, God knew what the outcome would be.

We need to be careful that we do not allow ourselves to be filled with fear that by and large is not founded on facts. I hear people say things that Barack has not said (don't get me wrong there are things that he has said that makes me say...keep a very close eye on him). Yet, don't run for the hills and start buying a bunch of ammunition. You can still serve God...even without GW. We can still pray for morality in America and repent when America sins. Just because the president is not a Republican does not mean he is not a good American. There are Godly Democrats. Just so you know I am a registered Independent and I have voted acrossed party lines. We as Christians must be careful about declaring one party to be of faith and not the other...that gets back to all the denominational crap we have to deal with.

I want to say how proud I am to be an American. We voted for an African American to lead our country for the first time in history. I had tears in my eyes because I was excited over the accomplishment. One question...when you say I don't have a problem with him being black do you really mean it? Or are you disguising that under deep rooted racial sin? I understand if you are concerned about morality, but today lets rejoice in the fact that we have been part of a great time in history. There will be time for finger pointing later, but today I say congratulations to Barack Obama (president-elect) of the United States of America. My heart goes out to all those who truly suffered through the civil rights movement...an ugly scar on our national heritage. Some of us will never know what they suffered through. I pledge to pray for Barack and the rest of our leaders. Please join me in doing the same.

1 comment:

Ken Tuck said...

I am so excited. I too did not vote for Obama, but I'm excited that so many people voted. I'm excited that our country has once again inspired people throughout the world. I never thought I'd live to see a black man elected president of the United States. I'm excited that it has happened. I don't agree with everything he stands for, but I will give him a chance to show he can lead our country. His rise to the highest and most powerful position in the world is truly inspirational.His acceptance speech was very inspiring. I've never heard a better acceptance speech. I also must say that McCain gave the most heart-felt, sincere concession speech I've ever heard. Whether you voted for Obama or not, now is a time to celebrate. Hope, inspiration and the American Dream are all alive in the USA. That's exciting.
I wanted to make sure we captured the history of the moment on the front page of today's Dothan Eagle. I believe we did. I'm keeping a couple of copies, because this is truly a historical moment in American history.
I don't place my trust in man. I trust totally in God. Don't listen to all of the fear tactics that the far right wing is already spreading. We will continue to have the freedom to worship Jesus Christ. There's a little document called the First Amendment that gives us that freedom. It's not changing.
Trust God. Give our new president-elect a chance, and like Mike wrote, pray for Obama and his cabinet, and all of our leaders.
We are so blessed to be Americans.
Tuesday night inspired my column that will be in this Saturday's Dothan Eagle. A shameless plug I know, but I am truly excited about a change in our government, and mostly about the new injection of hope in the American Dream.