Friday, March 13, 2009

UNLEASH Messages Challenge Me to the Core of Who I Am!


I just came from the UNLEASH conference in Anderson, SC and heard a couple of the most challenging messages I have heard in years. I went to this conference hoping that I could just be encouraged by the messages. No anticipation of bringing new ideas back to Christ-Life. I succeeded. You all will be glad to know that I am not changing anything at this point.


Well, I lied just a little because I am anticipating a change in me. I typically don't compare what one church has with what we have. Not fair to either of us...and that can get into coveting. I truly appreciate what God has done at New Spring...you can see the anointing that God has placed on Perry.


I do want to make a comparison.


New Spring & Christ-Life has been at it for just about the same amount of time...nine years. They have 13000 people, awesome facilities, and mega-bucks. One other thing they have is a staff that is 100% behind their pastor...not just paid staff...hundreds of volunteers. His staff is humble, thankful, and gracious.


Christ-Life had more in attendance than New Spring about eight years ago. I had the same vision of facilities that NewSpring now enjoys...we sit in a Catfish House. They gather for four services every Sunday. We have about 75 per week....which is actually up about 25 people since we moved from the old church. Its not that people have not given us a chance. We have had nearly 5000 visitors in the past nine years.


I need to make it clear I am about the numbers. Numbers is signs of life...growth...salvation...and I could go on. People that say numbers don't matter have not got a clue! I truly believe we should have no less than 1000 people in our worship services every Sunday.


Now, I want to tell you why we don't. Because of the Senior Pastor! I am not blaming arrogant staff, lazy Christians, the economy or even Word of Life. I take full responsibility! As the lead pastor of Christ-Life we have had glimmers of hope, but we never capitalized on it! That is the leaderships fault and I am the chief leader under Christ in this church.


For the past year I have really considered stepping down and allowing another pastor to come in to lead the church. I have looked and looked for the right changes to make. I have found it! It is me! I am the change that needs to happen. I have allowed frustration to drive me to near complcacency. Please forgive me for not leading as I should.



The lack of fire is my fault...the lack of passion for God and the lost is my fault. Noone in the church will be more on fire for God than me! Try it, I dare you!


Let me tell you where I have some serious changes to make:


1. I am going to spend more time with God!


That's it! What did you expect? One of my laundry lists. I cannot do it without God! I need more time with my heavenly Father. Its all about Him...right...then that's where I have to start...I need more of God in my life....NO...I WANT MORE OF GOD IN MY LIFE!


2 comments:

Ken Tuck said...

Good blog Bro. Sounds like a great conference. You are right. As leaders, we can't blame others. We have to make sure we're doing what we're supposed to be doing. But know this. You are an awesome leader and an awesome pastor. God is doing a great work in you and through you. Keep that focus. I love you Bro.

fromadistance said...

The fact that you can recognize your need of more of God is PROOF of what a great man of God you are. a Good man falls down 7 times ...and gets back up. Very few people could lead a church through the storm you guys have been through in the last 2 years. The fact that you may be a little bumped an bruised is no surprise and should have been expected. However, my friend and brother ...there is a healing balm in Gilead.
I love you man!