Thursday, August 28, 2008

DECISIONS DECISIONS DECISIONS

Life is so full of decisions. I really would appreciate some of y'all joining with me in prayer over some important decisions that need to be made.
First, I am praying over a trip to Uganda. I cannot be out of the country as long as they would like me to go, but I do have a desire to take advantage of this opportunity. Pray that God will give us clear direction and a time period that works for all of us.
I have committed to launch a new campus in New Smyrna Beach, FL. I will be the lead pastor and my precious brother, Shane Braucht, will be the campus pastor. I am praying that The Potter's House will help in this endeavor. NSB has an immediate population of approximately 50,000 and the Daytona metro is over a half million. This area could really use a church that is focused on getting the message of Christ out to those who need Him.
Finally, as some of you know our church has found itself in a very unique situation over the ownership of the land. Almost nine years ago, before I was in the picture, a group came in as a "spiritual covering". They made tons of promises, and took advantage of a struggling little church. In the process they managed to have the deed shifted to their name. As we have grown we have had the desire to relocate into the city. This group agreed to sign the church property back, but they have done nothing but manipulate and mislead. I have to lead the church in a major change as we know we will have to relocate, and basically start fresh. There are a couple of options we must choose from so please pray with us over this.

Being in leadership requires decision making that cannot be handled alone. I have an awesome group of 3 to 5 people that I meet with anytime I have a major decision to make. I also listen the opinions of others once I have made my proposals. To many people try to lead churches from a my-way or the highway concept. Its like a dictatorship. I beleive that other people on my team have great ideas and sometimes see things that I don't see. That's why I have people that help me in my decision making process. Scripture teaches that there is safety in counsel. When you have a decision to make...gather a few people around...people that will be honest...people that have wisdom...not yes-men!! Not flakey prophets or people that God is always speaking audibly to them.
Ask God for wisdom as He promises to give it in the book of James.
Then, be patient and wait upon the Lord...He will lead, guide and direct.

3 comments:

Ken Tuck said...

Hey Bro. You have always believed in godly counsel before making decisions. That's one reason why you are so successful. So many people think God owes us and should move on our prayer requests like a fastfood restaurant and do it now. God doesn't work that way. Some times He answers quickly and other times He doesn't. His ways are perfect and His timing is perfect.
It's exciting what God is doing. As we dicsussed the other night, He is moving and doing so much in a number of different areas. A great move of God is on the way.
The blog is a great idea. I started one called Love In Action's blog. I just posted the first entry. Check it out. It's about God blessing us with a 33,000 sq. ft. warehouse. Praise God! Here's the link: http://liaministries.blogspot.com/
I love you Bro. You're an awesome leader and you have surrounded yourself with great leaders at TPH and NSB.
- Ken

Pastor Mike's Blog said...

Thanks Ken! Your absolute trust in God amazes me. The warehouse has never left your heart even when people promised one to LIA...you held on to the hope that God would provide.

Matthew Martin said...

Dear Pastor Mike,
A trip to Uganda, and establishing a ministry in New Smyrna Beach are good opportunities. With this time of transition at The Potter's House, just be careful not to spread yourself too thin. Sunday, you mentioned possibly renaming the church. I think that is a good idea. Perhaps we can take suggestions (anonymously) from the congregation, and vote on a new name. I have several in mind. After we get a new name; we could similarly select a logo.

Blessings in Jesus,
Matthew