Thursday, June 25, 2009

She had a tatoo that said Nobody

A couple of years ago Ken Tuck and I took a group of folks to the inner city of Los Angeles on a Love in Action outreach. We had the privilege of teaming with The Dream Center lead by their pastor, Matthew Barnett. On this trip we had the opportunity to reach out to people living in the hotels in the notorious Skid Row district of downtown L.A.

While we were passing out food to the families that were staying in these cheap hotels I saw something that literally broke my heart. I have carried this image with me for years.

There was young African American woman staying in the hotel. She sheepishly got in line to receive the food we were distributing. As she came through the line my heart went out for her. Never really had a chance to get her story, but the back of her neck said enough. As she turned around to go back to her room...I saw a tattoo...it said....NOBODY

Did I really need her story...she tatooed her body with her perception of what she was...a nobody! To this day that image still breaks my heart.

How many people do we as Christians walk by everyday...that may not be tatooed...but they are marked. Inwardly, they feel like they don't matter. They wonder why they exist. There are people that have been so beat down that they have branded themselves as unlovable. My prayer is that God will give us the ability to find the nobody's of this world and introduce them to the one someone that will make them feel like a somebody.

1 comment:

Ken Tuck said...

I'll never forget her either. Martha still cries when she thinks about her. There are a lot of people who feel like that woman. We can easily show them that someone cares by taking time to talk with them. Then, take time to help them. The key is living life with people. I don't mean we have to live on the streets or in skidrow hotels, but be there for them. Walk through life with them. Hurt when they hurt. Laugh when they laugh. Before anyone decides to do this, they better make sure they are ready. Don't start something then give up. Those who feel they are nobodies are used to people giving up on them. That's why they feel like nobodies. We can make a huge difference by taking time and living life with them. That's how they will truly see the love of Jesus.
Good post Bro. We need to go back to L.A. I'm hoping within the next couple of years.