Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How Would You Survive If You Lost Your Spouse?

A couple weeks ago I was at an auction when one of the elders came in and told me he needed to talk to me outside. Considering everything our church had been through I thought, what now? It was worse than a church emergency...it was a family emergency.

My wife was at home with chest pains that she had been suffering through for nearly an entire day. She said they started at 1am and now it was 7 pm. All her friends were getting worried so they sent Brother T to get me. I went home and decided to take her to the hospital. I didn't think she was having a heart attack, but with her health problems I felt I better get her looked at.

Fortunately, she did not have heart problems... But, while pulling up to the ER the thought crossed my mind....What would I do without Laurie? That was a scary thought! I chalked it up to one of those things that you eventually have to deal with as you get older.

If I lost my wife right now it would be really difficult to go forward. I'm still fairly young and the thought of even dating another woman scares me. My biggest concern would be Mikey...his mom does so much for him and I would really stink at being Mr. Mom. Brooke would lose her best friend...I think it would have devistated her for years.

What a sobering thought...but one day one of us will go first...How will we make it?

How would you survive if you lost your spouse right now?

1 comment:

Ken Tuck said...

Thanks for depressing me with this horrible thought. You are right though, unless the Lord returns first, we all will face this extremely sad situation. If Martha goes before me there's no doubt that would be the toughest thing I would ever face in my life. She's my wife, my best friend, my ministry partner, my everything. She's the sweetest, most beautiful person in the world. She would want me to keep on keeping on for God though, and I would. I would follow my mom's example. My dad died 12 years ago. It was very hard on us all, but the hardest on my mom. They were married 38 years. She still misses him - we all do - but she continues on in life through the strength and power of God. God is using her in mighty ways. In addition to the ministry she does through LIA and her church, she travels and works in her yard. She's a great blessing to her family. She has set the example of how you move on. You still love and hurt, but at the same time you still enjoy life because you are living for Jesus. That's what I would do, but even so Lord Jesus, come quickly.