Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Quit Blaming The Other Guy!

The other night while flipping through the channels I came acrossed the Bill Maher show. Let me start by saying Mr. Maher is not one I care to watch very often, but I stopped because he was talking about the oil spill. I forget who his co-host was...someone from CNN. Regardless, they were talking about how people were criticizing President Obama for his lack of response to the oil crisis. They made some points I agreed with, and then they did something that as a leader turns my stomach. They spent the next 30 minutes complaining about what George Bush would have done if this oil crisis would have occurred on his watch. If you would have listened you would think that President Bush was the real problem with the oil crisis.

I am not on the Barack Obama hater train. Personally, I would like to meet him as he and I have alot of similar interests. With that said there are many policies I don't like, nor do I agree with. Yet, I pray for him...I don't want harm to come to him...he seems to be a real family man (time will show if thats true).

There is one critical point that I cannot stand about the Obama administration. He and his team constantly blame George Bush for everything that is not going the way they would like it to go. Evil businesses...W's fault! Health care....W's fault! Budget problems...W's fault! Financial problems...because of the previous eight years! You get my point.

As leaders just because we face opposition, overwhelming difficulties, and even challenges left over from the last guy quit blaming him/her for your current inabilities to accomplish certain goals. I know its frustrating. You may even have a legitimate complaint. But, you still have to lead...quit whining! Take the opportunity you have been given and make it better. Quit blaming the other guy!

I beleive it was Laura Bush who gave her son, President George Bush, some great advice. Don't talk bad about the previous administration. I never heard him make a critical comment about the Clintons...he seemed to show them deep respect and appreciation.

Upon coming to Enterprise I followed a man that this church loved. Family circumstances put a real damper on his ministry credability. I determined I was not going to say bad things about the previous pastor. Even though there were some not so theological messages preached and financial calamity was pending...I found he had some of the greatest people on the planet in his church and there was a reason they came to the church that he lead. The men of the church loved him...and by the way when I came they informed me but never once did they belittle the previous pastor.

I decided we are not blaming...we need to restore the church's reputation and grow. For the most part we accomplished those goals. By the way, the previous leader was and is still well respected through-out the community. For the past ten years if I didn't have something nice to say...I didn't say anything.

Unfortunately, over the past couple years, I wasted valuable energy blaming an organization and its leader (oh yeah its board ... that doesn't exist) for putting me through a living hell. Those who know me in the community understand, support and agree with my public protest concerning what happened to our church. Even if I did get a little out of control.

Today, is different. Forgiveness has been granted and whatever happens in our fellowship (in regard to leadership) is up to me. I cann't blame Word of Life, youth pastors gone bad, worship leaders that I don't see eye to eye with, members that leave, or even the devil. We have been given a chance to start fresh and where we go is where I lead...success or failure its on me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree we need to take ownership of our failures and successes. Where we go from here is up to us.

-Justin