Thursday, April 16, 2009

Changes: One Good One

A few months ago Justin and I went to the Unleashed conference hosted by New Spring Church in Anderson, SC. I really went there to sit back listen and implement as little as possible because I was wore out spiritually. It was a great conference. Perry Noble and his staff are very good hosts.

I remember walking in and a greeter asked where we were from...she turned around and at the top of her lungs started screaming "Enterprise, Alabama in the house." I was embarassed! I did not want the attention...they did nothing wrong. Just not looking to have everyone stare at the two of us representing Enterprise, AL.

The messages were edgey as expected, and the break out sessions were so-so. We went to the second break out session together. That session provided us the one thing that we brought back to Enterprise knowing we had to implement it.

We have started doing a pre-service walk through. Man has it been something we needed. Every Sunday, once the chairs and sound equipment is set up, we do a walk through of our entire service...from the count down to the you are free to go. To be honest...I was ticked the first time we did it because the leadership team was late...lethargic...whatever....it did not go well...BUT THE SERVICE DID!

Over the past month Justin has diligently reminded the team that we are trying to create a place where people can meet Jesus and for that to happen we need as few of distractions as possible. I have to say this is one of the largest steps in the area of excellence we have taken in the nine years I have been pastoring in Enterprise.

There was so much disorganization, back woods attitudes, and the like that I was fed up with it all. We didn't even know who to give the mic to...and the final straw was when our last guest speaker wasn't even given a microphone. Sometimes I wouldn't have my outline to Justin on time. The praise team was fighting within. To many things that made us look sloppy. Ministry team leaders coming in late and not giving a rip. Well, I am here to tell you I am seeing those things slip away and I love it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have really enjoyed the teamwork and unity that this process has brought to our church. Now we have momentum going into our services. I can't wait to see more people meet Jesus!

If anyone wants to join the setup team, just let me know.

Justin

Debbie DuBose said...

nice to see you blogging again...missed your thoughts.